Painting takes a lot more work and preparation than many realize. It all starts with surface preparation. At Vivian, LA's Town Hall we started by using a razor blade to scrape all the remaining tape off the door, removed the paper holder, then used our Milwaukee driver to remove the signs and kick plate. We then removed all the old adhesive and oils from the door with mineral spirits. Next, we washed the door with soapy water and did a final rinse with clean tap water. Finally, we taped the windows with 3M painters tape.
After the surface preparation, we were finally ready to begin painting. We used quality Valspar paint from Bauer's Hardware, locally owned, in Vivian, LA. We painted the door, then painted the trim on the surrounding windows. After individually painting each window pane, we promptly removed the painters tape to ensure the paint. Should the paint dry before you remove the tape, you will most likely pull off some paint from the trim, leading to unnecessary touch-ups. When the paint dried, we installed a new kick plate, also purchased from Bauer's Hardware, reattached the sign with screws, and used double-sided 3M adhesive tabs to adhere the paper holder.
It's important to protect the exterior wood in our homes from rot. This requires attention to water flow and splashing during storms, as well as, regular maintenance. Ensure there is no exterior wood enduring excessive exposure to water during rains. Any issues of water flow can be remedied with water diversion devices such as gutters. Also, one should ensure that the paint and caulk sealing exterior wood stays in good condition, re-caulking and painting as needed. The roof on this home funneled most rainwater down the back onto the patio, causing rainwater to splash heavily against the frame of the back door and windows. Over time, this led to the rotting of the structure. Gutters were installed to funnel water through the backyard and into the drainage ditch behind the home.
Due to excessive water splashing on exterior wood, the door frame depicted below experienced deterioration due to rot. There was also a double paned window on top that had cracked from frameshift. Left untreated, this would eventually lead to the failure of the frame's structure and continued window breakage, as well as additional water damage to the structure of the home. After installing gutters to remedy the water flow issues, an oscillating tool was used to cut out all wood with any sign of rot. I then rebuilt the structure, matching existing ornamentation, replaced the door seal and jamb, replaced the cracked window pane with a new double paned and gas filled window pane, then caulked the repairs, and primed using KILZ 2 to protect the new structure from the elements.
For a fun change of pace, I decided to refinish this bench for my sister. The bench was completely disassembled. Next, all the wood was sanded and all the rust was sanded off the existing hardware. The frame also received a light sanding and was pressure washed. The sanded wood then had two coats of polyurethane applied, while the frame and existing hardware was sprayed black with a Rust-Oleum brand protective enamel paint. Finally the bench was reassembled. I knew it turned out well when I didn't have any pieces left over and the bench not only looked better, but was much more structurally sound than it was prior to disassembly.
Soffit is the material that forms a ceiling on the facade of a home, not only for aesthetics, but also to provide a barrier to pests and the elements. Quite often, as the result of a leaky roof, a home's soffit can become water-logged and damaged. When this happens, it is important to ensure all rot is removed. If the existing structure is rotten, it must be replaced. Depicted below are soffit jobs that I have completed.
Today's shower arms are fairly standard, consisting of a bent piece of pipe threaded on both ends, however this was not the case for shower arms manufactured around the 1960's. These earlier shower arms often had a bulb on the end with a hole for water flow. You can see this on the right end of the removed shower arm depicted in the image below. Adapters are available for these old style shower arms, but these adapters are all too often prone to leakage. Why not just replace the whole shower arm with a new style shower arm? The task may seem daunting, but with proper attention to detail and the right tools, it can be easily overcome. This shower arm ended up being quite difficult to remove. This being the case, I applied penetrating oil to the pipe going into the wall to penetrate into the threads and help me free the existing shower arm. I allowed the oil to penetrate for about half an hour and then using a good pair of vice grips, I was able to remove the old arm without damage to the existing structure. After this, I simply applied a small amount of thread seal tape to the end of the shower arm and screwed it into the existing structure. Finally, I again applied a small amount of thread seal tape to the other end and screwed on the new shower head. Easy breezy!
I decided to replace the existing dishwasher with mine as it is a nice model with stainless interior, bottle wash, and sanitize capabilities. Also, the existing dishwasher would shock me when I touched it. After removing the old dishwasher, I replaced the electrical wire with the one connected to the new dishwasher. I also replaced the copper plumbing with a steel-braided hose. Minutes into the new dishwasher's first cycle, I noticed water spilling out the bottom. The leak was traced to a failed drainage hose. I then removed the dishwasher and replaced the hose with a section of reinforced hose and reinstalled the new dishwasher. Working like a dream now and no leaks!